Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Top Ten Underrated Contemporary Books


Boy Toy by Barry Lyga - Hands down one of the best books I've ever read, but no one ever seems to
have heard of it. I've seen few other books that handle sexual abuse this well; the psychological aspects of this book are amazing. If you've read it, please feel free to cry with me about it any time.

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks - Again, one of my favorite books that deals with a serious topic so well. The story is told by an imaginary friend and it's both hilarious and heart breaking. I've made all my friends read this one and not one of them didn't love it.

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend and Shut Out by Kody Keplinger - I think all of Kody's books deal with the innerworkings of high school really well, whether it be body image, friendships, or sex and I'm surprised more people haven't read them.

Being Sloan Jacobs by Lauren Morrill - You know how all those light, fluffy summer chicklits slip to the bottom of your TBR once you start smelling pumpkin spice? This book is one for the winter. Just as fun and light-hearted, but it takes place in winter (and has hockey and ice skating).

17 & Gone by Nova Ren Suma - I love the way Nova Ren Suma writes about mental illnesses, especially from the first person perspective of this book. 

The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour - Everybody loves a good road trip book, and this is definitely one of the best ones I've read.

Uses for Boys by Erica Lorraine Schiedt - The narrative and story of this book is raw and heart breaking and I've never met a single person who has read it, but I promise you it's worth it.

Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill - This book deals with some really touchy subjects, but it's so well done that it deserves so much more recognition than it's gotten.

The Boleyn Trilogy by Laura Andersen - Okay, I'm sorry, but I have to cheat for this one. This is technically historical fiction, but it's an amazing book series that was totally worth staying up until three in the morning only to cry at the ending. The story is about what might have happened if Anne Boleyn had a son and I need everyone to read it because it's amazing (in case I didn't already say that).

Have you read any of these? And don't forget to leave a link to your post down below so I can see if I've read any of your underrated picks!

No comments:

Post a Comment